Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Watercooled technical forums > Golf and Jetta Mk1
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 20-02-2006, 23:45
Forum Newbee

Default My Mk1 Golf Engine Conversion....Help!

I currently own a 1100cc golf Y reg (1983), this is fitted with the standard 4 speed gearbox. i unfortunately bumped it from the front end, needing to replace the front panel, bumpers, grill etc. After many months after buying parts to restore and replace old parts, ive decided to do an engine upgrade. As i am only 18 and still at college my insurance is extremely high and lack of income forces me to upgrade to a 1300cc.

i brought and own a mk2 1300cc golf H reg (1991), this fitted with the standard 5 speed gearbox. i was just wondering if somebody could advise me or help me in how much trouble the conversion will be. i am looking to install the 1300cc into my mk1 golf with the 5 speed gearbox for economical reasons but also on long journeys. i am looking to complete the project myself and have already stripped my mk1 golf to a bare shell.

After reading through many magazines and searching many websites + forums ive discovered that i will have to adapt the gearbox mount in order to fit the 5 speed gearbox. if anybody has done this conversion before it will help me very much, i need to know how i adapt the gearbox mount and if the engine will fit straight in without any further problems.

cheers michael
Old 22-04-2006, 16:08
Forum Newbee

Send a message via MSN to dubbed_up_daz

youll need a mk1 five speed gearbox mount and fit that to the mk2 box its just bolt over stuff,youll need a mk1 5 speed linkage to and shifter iirc,had to do this in my mk1 when i swapped fromm 1.1 to 1.8 16v