Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Watercooled technical forums > Golf and Jetta Mk2
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2011, 11:37
Forum Newbee

Default Rallye with '88 build date

Hi all, just joined after searching for more info on the first Golf Rallyes on www.dubforce.net ...

So the story is that i live in Australia, i moved out here in '05 from the UK and brought a Corrado G60 with me. I've sold the Corrado now and i've always wanted a Rallye... The thing is with the import laws as they are here, to have a car posted here, it needs to have a build date of 1/1/89 or before. i could bring a later car like i did with the Corrado, but i would have to be in the same country as the car for a minimum of 12 months before import approval could be granted.

So, the only way for me to have a Rallye, is to find one with a build date before 1/1/89... I've been searching around but haven't had any luck, doesn't matter what country the car is in, just has to have the right build date....

I'm wondering if there is anyone on here that knows of one with an early build date? Heard of one or seen one for sale with an early build date?

As far as i know there are no Rallyes out here in Australia, which makes me want one even more!!

Fingers crossed someone can help me out here, would so much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:26
Volksforum Crew - S2 Racer

Hi Matt,

Your looking for a needle in a haystack...As far as I know, all Rallyes have the 'K' in the chassisnummer, meaning that they are modelyear '89. This actually doesn't mean that there weren't any Rallyes build in '88, as the modelyear at Volkswagen starts in october/november. My tip for you would be to look for a Rallye with an as low as possible number behind the 'K' in the VIN. Once you've found one, the owner should contact the Historic Department of Volkswagen to get the birth-certificate of his Rallye. This certificate shows the build-date and will help you to get the car approved in Australia.

When I get home (currently on my lunchbreak at work) I will take a look at my personal register to see if I can find a low VIN-number for you.

I will also keep an eye open for you, but it certainly could take a while before you find one. Good Luck!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:30
HannoverEdition

Hi Matt

Nice to have contact with the other side of the world on this forum
But can you explain how you can find out that a Golf Rallye is build in '88 if the car is registered in '89? because as you say most Golf Rallye's are registered in 1989, can you see it on the VIN number?

And why you specifically want a '88 Rallye...

There are 2 red one's for sale here on this Forum,but building date is too young I guess

Rallye 1

Rallye 2

Good luck with your search for a nice Golf Rallye

Regards;
Guido

Last edited by VeeDubber : 09-02-2011 at 16:56.
Old 09-02-2011, 13:10
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubber
Hi Matt,

Your looking for a needle in a haystack...As far as I know, all Rallyes have the 'K' in the chassisnummer, meaning that they are modelyear '89. This actually doesn't mean that there weren't any Rallyes build in '88, as the modelyear at Volkswagen starts in october/november. My tip for you would be to look for a Rallye with an as low as possible number behind the 'K' in the VIN. Once you've found one, the owner should contact the Historic Department of Volkswagen to get the birth-certificate of his Rallye. This certificate shows the build-date and will help you to get the car approved in Australia.

When I get home (currently on my lunchbreak at work) I will take a look at my personal register to see if I can find a low VIN-number for you.

I will also keep an eye open for you, but it certainly could take a while before you find one. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated!! I do have a list of VIN's on my computer here that was posted by slateford here on dubforce http://www.dubforce.net/forums/inde...showtopic=19288 - there are a few starting with the letter K as well as J...
I have been looking on-and-off for a while now, don't mind searching for a few more years, there must be one out there!!
Cheers again, would be very interested to see what you can find on your personal register...

Last edited by VeeDubber : 09-02-2011 at 16:57.
Old 09-02-2011, 13:23
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannoverEdition
Hi Matt

Nice to have contact with the other side of the world on this forum
But can you explain how you can find out that a Golf Rallye is build in '88 if the car is registered in '89? because as you say most Golf Rallye's are registered in 1989, can you see it on the VIN number?

And why you specifically want a '88 Rallye...

There are 2 red one's for sale here on this Forum,but building date is too young I guess

Rallye 1

Rallye 2

Good luck with your search for a nice Golf Rallye

Regards;
Guido

Hi mate and thanks for the welcome!

The laws to be able to import a car into Australia are quite complicated, as i live in Australia at the moment, for me to get import approval on any car, the build date must be before 1/1/89.
If i lived outside of Australia, and had a car of any age for a a minimum of 12 months, i would be able to bring it here with me. I did this with a Corrado when i migrated here from the UK in '05.

To find out the build date, i believe on the VIN, if the first letter starts with a J, then it will be built in '88, and some with the letter J and then low numbers after that, were also built in '88. To find out for sure, a VIN would have to be submitted to Volkswagen who could then tell you the build date, and give you a birth certificate.
I've also been told that the build date is on the factory sticker that was in the boot, but i'm not sure if that's true..

Thanks for the links to the cars for sale, now going to have a look

Matt

Last edited by VeeDubber : 09-02-2011 at 16:57.
Old 10-02-2011, 16:14
Volksforum Crew - S2 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbertricks
Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated!! I do have a list of VIN's on my computer here that was posted by slateford here on dubforce http://www.dubforce.net/forums/inde...showtopic=19288 - there are a few starting with the letter K as well as J...
I have been looking on-and-off for a while now, don't mind searching for a few more years, there must be one out there!!
Cheers again, would be very interested to see what you can find on your personal register...

Matt,

I've taken a look in my register, I got about 330 Rallyes listed and the lowest number is a 006xxx VIN. I know the owner and I've sent him an email asking him if he knows the birthdate of his Rallye. I'll keep you posted!
Old 10-02-2011, 19:07
Forum Newbee

Awesome mate, thanks for that
Old 15-11-2011, 04:27
Forum Newbee

Hey all, i'm still curious and on the lookout for a Rallye with a built date of 1988, surely someone here has one?!

Matt.
Old 15-11-2011, 10:56
Volksforum Aandeelhouder

Hi Matt,

After a quick search I found These maybe it can help you on your way?

Kind regards Nol
Old 15-11-2011, 11:34
Getting there...

Hey Matt,

Have you tried your luck here: http://www.rallye-golf.info

Don't know if you're German is that good, but there's a lot of knowledge in this forum. (Edit: you can change the language at the top of the site "sprache ändern" !!)

Good luck !!

Gr
Fred
Old 18-11-2011, 22:35
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nol
Hi Matt,

After a quick search I found These maybe it can help you on your way?

Kind regards Nol

Thanks for that mate, i do look on that site occasionally, they're all 89> so no good though
Old 18-11-2011, 22:36
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRR
Hey Matt,

Have you tried your luck here: http://www.rallye-golf.info

Don't know if you're German is that good, but there's a lot of knowledge in this forum. (Edit: you can change the language at the top of the site "sprache ändern" !!)

Good luck !!

Gr
Fred

Awesome, haven't seen that site before, thanks for that
Old 18-11-2011, 22:49
No personal life

THIS one could be an 88 model,date of registration is 1/89 build date could be late 88
Weber Society Drenthe ®
Old 18-11-2011, 22:56
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbertricks
Awesome, haven't seen that site before, thanks for that

You're welcome !
Old 19-11-2011, 06:05
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-9A-N
THIS one could be an 88 model,date of registration is 1/89 build date could be late 88

Well spotted! I can't seem to get it to turn up when i do a search in English though which is annoying. I can't seem to get just Rallyes to show up in a search. Would like to contact him about that car.

*EDIT* I see how i can get all Rallyes up now

Last edited by timbertricks : 19-11-2011 at 06:20.
Old 19-05-2012, 15:40
Forum Newbee

Still on the look out guys!! Nothing came of that last one, i emailed but had no response, then the ad disappeared so i guess it sold before i got to it!