View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 12:33
Forum Newbee

The image is not accessible as *.jpg file or link on the other forum.

Just a few vital stats (of the car, of course )

Built in april 1982 in the Brussels Volkswagen plant. Did its service as a family car for the first 8 years until I bought it from a dealer. This was just on the decline of the used car market in (western) Germany after the re-unification with its eastern part when during the first months people were in a urge to swap (or trash) their Trabants and Wartburgs. So the dealer agreed to a reasonable discount for the Polo 1 I swapped (this one finally was bought by some guys from Poland, I hope the Polo did not break down before they reached the border).

It has the 63kW YP engine, automatic gear box and is a CL type, i.e. almost the lowest range of accessories but has the most complete chrome trim found on pre-1984 Passats. Unfortunately, it is not real chrome but just a metal foil with plastic cover, I had to replace all the window chrome trim (I did not replace the rear and front bumper chrome trim). I mostly used self-adhesive chrome trim, it looks decent if you apply it carefully... and if you avoid any cheap stuff, ONLY use chrome trim with genuine 3M adhesive.

I did not care much about the car for many years and it looked quite rotten. Now, with all the rust removed and new chrome trim, it looks quite decent. It needed a new passenger's door, the rear passenger side door and the driver's door were overhauled and painted. The rear side walls and the corners of the tail piece had to be welded and painted, too. On the plus side: the underbody never needed any welding and still has its original protective undercoating.

The motor and the gear box work flawless after 211000km. The car was equipped with a simple (non-regulated) exhaust recyling in the 80s which I had upgraded to Euro1 environmental standards (with a lambda probe and electronic control system) in 2008. In many german cities you are prohibited from entering with cars below the Euro1 standard (the so-called "Umweltzone" , environment protection zone introduced due to european fine dust regulations). I have to check the oil level of the diffrential gear some day. A leaking seal to the main gear box is the main reason for sudden breakdowns of the differential gear which usually appear without warning (and usually much earlier than 200000km if you do not check it in time).