View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 01:32
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to phaeton
Exclamation phaeton - Australia

Hi to all Volksforum members

I decided to join up today

My name is Ben I live in South Australia, Australia and I'm 21 years old.

Anyway I've been a VW Enthusiast of 10-11 years and have been involved with numerous VW/Automotive forums - VWvortex, TheVWGazette, VWwatercooled Australia, carspyshots etc

I read heaps of VW literature eg VolksWorld, Camper & Bus, Volkswagen Driver, Volkswagen Magazine & Volkswagens of the World by Simon Glen to name a few

I contribute to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:VWphaetonfan

Heres why and how I fell in love with VW.

My VW story begins when I was 7 yrs old...

The 1st VW I can remember seeing and thought was unique was the 1975 Passat Variant, I thought the rear was the weirdest design ever but the Bug was yet to bite.

Our family like most Australians started either in the Holden (GM) camp or Ford camp, our family was the GM camp.

My love affair with Holdens started when I was 5 and was to end aged 9-10 when a small coupe was to enter the family a 1963MY built in 1962 Karmann Ghia Coupe but that wasn't the car that won me over it was the Transporter better known as the Kombi (Bay Window).

This vehicle with all its space and comfortable seating won me over with a lot of trips when I was young it was easy for me to fall asleep with the air-cooled engine being like the waves of an ocean very soothing and calming

Anyway alot of VW shows later I'm still a VW freak 12yrs with the brand.
I have read tons of VW literature have over 100 Mags and 10 quality VW reading books so I consider myself an expert on Volkswagen's History.
I also have knowledge on the Chinese, South African & South American Volkswagens.

I currently don't have a car yet

Cheers
phaeton

BTW my Mother is looking at upgrading to a Golf Mk5 hopefully TDI but she will probably go with petrol as she does not like the diesel noise but loves the power