View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 17:44
VW Addict

pauli, i actually said it!
aaron is no mod but gets banned by them a lot...
we met so many nice people i only knew from the forums, like you guys!

we said goodbye and left salem, took our mandatory breakfast burgers and drove to seatlle.

in seattle we hooked up with simon (2mAn) again and had a party in the evening, simon took a lot of pctures but is moving to a new place at the moment so no pics of that at the moment....

we went to a carwash but it didnt help so i went in again and told the cashier that it didnt work so we got a second car wash for free, it was no good either but we decided that this has to be good enough.
we delivered the car back to the airport where our flight back to germany left 3 hours later.

we had to repack the luggages since my suitcase was to heavy (carparts!) and i refused to pay 150$ for 2 kg overweight.

12 hours later we where back home n berlin safely, had 1 day to relax before i had to leave to norway again.

THE BREAKDOWN:

i drove: bergen/norway-berlin/germany 1945km
coast to coast x2 8325miles/13156km
berln/germany-bergen/norway 1945km

total: 17541km/10761miles

my vacation was 28 days of wich i didnt drive in 9 days total.

average miles per day= 566miles
distance driven in the corolla 8325miles
fuel used with the corolla 225,347 gal
real life mpg 36,943mpg
money spend on fuel 591,13$
average puel price 2,62$/gallon
fuel stops 25
cheapest fuel ,oklahoma city 2,14$/gal
most expensive, san francisco 3,34$/gal
smallest distance covered/day 446miles
bggest distance covered/day 806mles
rental car price 1189$/month (it was cheaper to take the monthly rate)

flight tickets for 2 with lufthansa: 1146euro/1723$ (todays exchange rate)
lodging about 1000$
food/drinking ~1000$

money spend total: about 5000$
my comments:

we boath loved the time we had in the us, didnt mind living of dollar burgers to much (favourite 1$ burger: whopper jr)
enjoied the time we had on party with all the nice people we met on our way.
are glad that we did it, and defenately coming back but dont want to drive that far anymore, since we wanted to spend more time with our friends and in the case of my bro: more swimming! lol
loved the burgers at five guys, not cheap but good!

the people we met all have been genuinly friendly (with one exeption at the dci house) and we will hopefully meet all our new (and old) friends again next year at h2o or on our way there.
we disliked that many places only care aout their profit, that the co driver can not drink beer , crazy parking fees in the downtown areas.
the indish motel mafia ( i swear, when a place s called ...INN it s run by inidsh people who will call to their other INN´s to raise the price because there are some guys trying to get a good deal!) and worst of all if you want to buy something you will have to use your car since the disances are too big to walk, in some places there are not even sidewalks....

THE 2010TOYOTA COROLLA
after driving the car twice across the states i belive i am qualifed to give my opinon...

the pros:
-fuel economy was really good no questions
-the base price in the us is cheap too
-build quality is ok no tecnical issiues
-luggage space is suficcient for two adulds+beer
-stereo has a good sound and gets loud enough

the cons:
-15 hp more would make the car a lot better since the cruise control downshifts on every little uphill, wich is not only uneconomic but also loud.
-automatic gearbox makes a jerky upshift after the kickdown wich feels weird
-suspension is too soft
-cd-player is really sensitive and didnt want to olay half our cd´s
-the steering wheel doesnt come close enought to the driver to have a comfortable driving position
-the angle of the footrest is uncomphy and feels as it is in the wrong place
-everything feels cheap, switches, materials everything you touch feels better in my mk4
-strong wind noise fron boath front doors
-fuel cell only holds 11 gallons, too little for longer trips

story written and posted by otti in english and german on

the152.com
volksforum.com
vwvortex.com
golf1.info
vwscene-forum.de

pictures taken by: tuki (tacky)

special thanks to:
simon, lucky,handsome,paul,steve,tom,aaron,jessica (in order of appearence, lol)

tomorrow some bonusmaterial