Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Off Topic > Car Café Int
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 24-08-2006, 17:07
Volksforum Crew - Moderator International Forums

Send a message via MSN to PerL
Default Any carburettor GURU here? 2E2 problems

I'm sure many of you have had some experience with the Pierburg 2E2 carburettor, as it was fitted to many VAG models during the 80s, including Golf, Jetta, Passat, Audi 80 and 100 all fitted with the 1.8 liter 90-hp engine.

My car's problem (it's an 86 Audi 80) is that I can not get the idle below 1000 rpm, it is supposed to be at 750 +/- 50 rpm. I have tested all the components on the carb, and all check out fine, the only thing that I am suspicious to is the thing described as "expansion element" in the Golf 2 Haynes Service & Repair manual (page 4A.8, illustraton 14.4d).

This unit seems to control the idle speed based on colant temperature, I tried to remove it only to see an idle speed of 2800 rpm cold and 3500 rpm when warm. I tried to adjust it a bit and got the idle down to 1000 rpm from 1400 rpm previously.

Another problem from this is that when I cant get the idle down to ~750 rpm, I cant set the ignition timing correctly either.

Any hints are welcome. Perhaps anyone of you have a good carb to sell me, or even some good components, for that matter?

1999 Audi A6 quattro
1990 Volkswagen Golf CL Syncro
1987 Audi Coupe quattro