Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Classifieds > Parts wanted
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2007, 23:16
Forum Newbee

Default Need parts for 85GTIv8CISE

Hi all,

I've recently taken on the task of teaching my step-son the fine art of the shade tree mechanic, which I have been off and on for forty years. He wants to rebuild his recently acquired '85 GTI v8 CIS-E. We already installed a set of CV joints a few months ago and are now trouble shooting a knock sensor problem, which causes the engine to stall under acceleration/load. The car was running well last Thursday and passed its smog check okay. Then began to stall out under acceleration. It is definitely not dealing properly with pre-ignition, and is getting steadily worse.

We've replaced the rotten vacuum lines and cleaned out the air flow meter in the airbox. I've been able to locate sources for most of the parts we need but have had no luck finding a serviceable "knock sensor controller" (HELLA VW part no. 5DA 004 773-00).

We'd sure like to find one, so he can get on with his life.

In addition, any comments or suggestions will be seriously appreciated.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:53
Class of 2003

Send a message via ICQ to Stijn Send a message via AIM to Stijn Send a message via MSN to Stijn

I have no idea if the knocksensor controller we had on our Euro cars is the same as on your NA CIS-E cars. Also, it would help if you have the VW part number instead of the Hella number.

Our closest relative to the CIS-E system is the KE-Jet system. The partnumber for the knocksensor control module for 8valve KE-Jet cars is 811 907 397 F. Ring any bells?

By the way: good work on passing on the slowly vanishing art of shadetree mechanics
Quagmire: 18? You're first.
Connie: Mom!
Quagmire: I like where this is goin'! Giggidy, giggidy, gig-gi-dy!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:07
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn
I have no idea if the knocksensor controller we had on our Euro cars is the same as on your NA CIS-E cars. Also, it would help if you have the VW part number instead of the Hella number.

Our closest relative to the CIS-E system is the KE-Jet system. The partnumber for the knocksensor control module for 8valve KE-Jet cars is 811 907 397 F. Ring any bells?

By the way: good work on passing on the slowly vanishing art of shadetree mechanics

Response:

Thanks for getting back to me . Also shown on the module is the following information:

Motorsteuergiat Z
KEZ 4Zyl
811 907 397 (no 'F' included; wonder what it would stand for)
Made in Germany

How many pins on the connector? Does it have a vacuum port as well?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:19
Volksforum Crew - Moderator International Forums

Send a message via MSN to PerL

The part number starting with 811 suggests that this part was orignially used in the Type 81, which is the Audi 80 aka Audi 4000 in USA. Now, I know that the 80/4000 doesnt hold such a big aftermarket support as the VW, but still, it gives you a few more options in locating the part.

I bet you can get a new one from any Worldpac dealer. Just google it

1999 Audi A6 quattro
1990 Volkswagen Golf CL Syncro
1987 Audi Coupe quattro
Old 07-05-2007, 18:39
Forum Newbee

I have been Googling my fingers to the bone and, with the standard part no. have had much better luck finding what I'm looking for. Also, our BentleyPublishers' service manual should arrive any time; afterwhich, we should have better information to work from.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-05-2007, 22:04
Class of 2003

Send a message via ICQ to Stijn Send a message via AIM to Stijn Send a message via MSN to Stijn

Hah, amazing how our part number is the same as the NA part number!
I don't have a controlbox as we speak, but should be rather easy to source here...if you need...
@perl: the part number I came up with (811 bla bla) was actually taken from the 1986 Golf GTI part list in ETKA.
Quagmire: 18? You're first.
Connie: Mom!
Quagmire: I like where this is goin'! Giggidy, giggidy, gig-gi-dy!
Old 07-05-2007, 23:24
Married to PC

Old 08-05-2007, 19:25
Volksforum Crew - Moderator International Forums

Send a message via MSN to PerL

Quote:
@perl: the part number I came up with (811 bla bla) was actually taken from the 1986 Golf GTI part list in ETKA.

It was also used in Audi 80 GTE and Coupe GT 1.8 (B2 chassis) in addition to the US-spec Audi 4000 1.8.

1999 Audi A6 quattro
1990 Volkswagen Golf CL Syncro
1987 Audi Coupe quattro
Old 08-05-2007, 22:45
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Hah, amazing how our part number is the same as the NA part number!
I don't have a controlbox as we speak, but should be rather easy to source here...if you need...

We're not quite ready to order the sensor controller as we are still waiting for a manual. However, we did find a possible cause for a suspected vacuum leak and have ordered a replacement 'vacuum switch' (171 919 825B) which had one of the ports broken off. Otherwise also systems are #00FF00. Our thanks to all of you who have responded. We'll be back from time to time.