Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Technical > Watercooled projects
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 13-01-2010, 22:23
Forum Newbee

Default Another Rallye build thread, TT 3.2 VR, DSG, Haldex, TT dash, the lot

Right thought it was about time i put something up on here about my progress.

My journey started way back in January 07 when I started looking for a Rallye rolling shell to start my project.

I managed to find a semi stripped rallye with a bit of accident damage. It was written off when a Hi-lux ran into it putting a dent into the rear panel. Easy fix i thought.

Initially i wanted to do a 150PD TDi rallye and tune it up to about 200bhp, but after conversations with various tuners and then Allard motorsport I realised it would be telephone no.s to get it in due to the 4x4. It would need custom inlets inverting the turbo out the way of prop and all sorts. I could have just binned the 4x4 but then it would have just been a mk2.

When i started stripping the ABS out I noticed a split between the bulkhead and chassis rail. After a few enquires I found out that the car had infact been written off twice. It had been rejigged, but no proof. Everyone I know that has been in the car and followed it swears it drives straight, but it would just be one of those things I could never forget about. I did manage to source a complete front quarter of a Rallye, but unpicking and welding in a complete chassis leg is a bit out of my league.

So the search began again, and I soon found someone stripping a Rallye. A deal was struck that I break it for him and I get the shell at a good price. Some of you may recognise the car.

After toying with other engine ideas, I was round visiting a friend with a breakers yard. He casually walks over to something covered with a dust sheet and says "what you really want is one of these", and look what was underneath it

The clincher was what was attatched to it. I wanted to build a lazy car and this was better than a TDi, maybe not as economical?

DSG!!!!!!!

I thought about it for a whole 10 seconds and realised what else would i need. "Luckily" my friend says " the rest of the car is being broken, it got rear ended so everything is ok, you can have the lot"

So I've ended up with everything out of the TT. Front to back. Rad and air con rad, all pipework, servo and ABS unit, bulkhead, full dash and looms, heated grey leather, haldex, the lot.

The plan is to fit it all into the Rallye then hopefully it should all just plug back in and work. Well thats the theory.

Had a bash at this TT dash lark. Problem with the rallye is the hight of the tunnel, but i may have found a way.

Removed the top of the rallye tunnel and trial fited the TT replacement. Gotta cut that down and weld it in.

Engine in and looking good. Had to make up a lot of pieces to get two of the mounts to work but done.

Got the rads in, bit tight is an understatement.

Gonna run 280's on the back so had these machined up.

I'm now in the process of welding up my haldex kit on the rear and fixing on the camber caster adjusters. Then its time for powdercoat, order some wheel bearings and we might be back on wheels.

I cant decide what colour powdercoat to go for.

Option one. The simple safe option. GREY, to match the leather.

Option two. The mad option. Ford focus st and rs colours the mad snot green and bright orange. Beam one colour, arms another. Something different.

Also found some ebay bargain wheels got 6 for less than £100.

What you think
Old 13-01-2010, 22:34
Volksforum Crew - You WILL comply!!

wowsa... seems like you got some great connections to keep this in some sort of budget..
def will be following this one..
Old 14-01-2010, 00:19
Volksforum Draaideur Donateur Wheeler Dealer

Send a message via AIM to breadfan83 Send a message via MSN to breadfan83

Theory sounds great, can't wait to see it irl!

Don't really care bout the colors, just want to see vids of the car running.

Oh, and I call shotgun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
broodfanaat heeft gelijk

Buyer / seller feedback thread
Golf mk2 16v W.I.P.
Boot-sale
Old 14-01-2010, 12:18
Volksforum Crew - S2 Racer

Hi Patrick,

Nice of you to start up a thread over here. Looks like you have a whole lot of work to do, but the plans sound great. I always like a original lookin Rallye, so I opt for the grey powdercoat-option

In the Dutch section there is a thread of a guy named Corné who's also droppin a R32 in his Rallye. He added a Rotrex supercharger aswell. The lingo will probably be a problem, but the pictures explain a lot. Here's the thread:

http://www.volksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53086
Old 14-01-2010, 12:20
Forum Newbee

N1ce project - go forward and keep us posted :-)

What happend to the red rallye after you had decided not to go on with it?
Old 14-01-2010, 16:33
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubber
Hi Patrick,

Nice of you to start up a thread over here. Looks like you have a whole lot of work to do, but the plans sound great. I always like a original lookin Rallye, so I opt for the grey powdercoat-option

In the Dutch section there is a thread of a guy named Corné who's also droppin a R32 in his Rallye. He added a Rotrex supercharger aswell. The lingo will probably be a problem, but the pictures explain a lot. Here's the thread:

http://www.volksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53086

Wow yeah nice but cant understand a word of it.

I cant believe that front crossmember. I had a similar problem as i kept the air con pump. I had 4 x 1" washers machined to space the crossmember down then a 1" spacer for the engine mount back up. Also helped with my rad clearance also, i also used a passat VR6 rad support as they are much lower than the crossmember.

The red rallye unfortunately had to die. We had a lovely little ceremony at the end of the garden, it was really emotional, i wore a black armband for months after.

I did need a sill for the black one as the chap removed it completely. I also kept the rear quarters just incase. Sold the floor and the tunnel to make another syncro.

A friend crashed his rallye the same week, so 2 dead in a week.

Just been and collected another ebay bargain.

Grey rhd syncro carpets £1.20!!!!!!! ( thanks Chris)

I never knew 3dr and 5dr were the same carpets.

Laters
Old 14-01-2010, 17:12

bargain of the year?
Old 14-01-2010, 17:27
Forum Newbee

Cheers mate. Apparently theres a chap called Chris S in the Netherlands who wanted somebody to buy them and ship them to him. So i might be sending a set over your way. Didnt you say you work at a shipping company that comes over here a lot?
Old 05-02-2010, 19:03
Forum Newbee

Well everything was going well until i went out to the shed to find the bottom half of the door missing. Little gits have stolen 4 of my porsche wheels. Luckily they left my welder, drill all my bits of rallye and r32.

On a positive note i have finished welding up the rear haldex kit and the camber adjusters. So now i deffinately have to choose powdercoat colours.

What you guys think. I'm thinking the snot green and bright orange Ford use on the focus st and rs. I'll do the beam green, arms orange, drive shafts green, tanks straps orange. That kind of thing, what you think?

I think the grey will just still look too boring.

Laters
Old 06-02-2010, 11:23
Forum Newbee

These colours

Old 06-02-2010, 12:15

Also welded a big lock on the door??

Got some pics of the haldex conversion and camber adjusters?

As for the powdercoating: I like the dull grey
Old 09-03-2010, 20:36
VW Guru

Updates ??
Old 21-03-2010, 20:18
Forum Newbee

A friend here in NZ has black RHD rallye carpets for sale if your interested?
Old 25-05-2010, 12:37
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI's
A friend here in NZ has black RHD rallye carpets for sale if your interested?

Cheers but i've got 2 grey ones now. I never knew 5dr and 3dr carpets were the same.

Finally got some done. All the back end and the front hubs are stripped and at the powdercoaters, collecting tomorrow. Gave up on the mad colours and went with matt grey for all the big stuff and gloss red for all the brackets etc... I've also found some wheels, ebay again, germany this time so gotta get them home first. What ya think of these?

Brand spankin new, 8.5" x 17" 5x100 et35.

Laters
Old 25-05-2010, 15:26
Married to PC

Love the rims mate...
Old 13-08-2010, 11:44
Forum Newbee

Sorry i forgot to update you guys.

Got the powdercoat back

Unfortunately its not thick enough to hide my crap welding but when its on the car you wont see it anyway.

TT hub assemblies and lower arm combo wont work unfortunately with the new 8.5" BBS CH's. Have way too much poke, camber and caster. And the Brembos wont fit as the disc has a high offset and hits the ball joint extender part. Wont work with the 312mm discs as the caliper hits the wheel and no room for a spacer.

The brembos do look a little tiny, may need some larger discs at some point.

Odviously its a bit cramped in my garage and the back end is'nt on yet so i used my "spare" mock up rallye to see how they fit using mk2 arms and hub assemblies with VR flanges.

Also had the rear R32 hubs and outer CV's machined for the smaller wheel bearing and ABS rings.

And thanks to ebay again i have found some tyres. Goodyear eagle F1's 215/40/17's. Only a month old then he got hit by a bus.

I'm now concentrating on getting the back end put back together, doing the brake lines, getting everything for the front end powdercoated and hopefully then getting her back on her wheels, as its been three years since she rolled into the garage. Would be nice for her to see some sunshine.

Laters. Hope you enjoy
Old 19-09-2010, 18:59
Forum Regular

Nice project and love the wheels
Any updates?

Last edited by 2fast4you : 19-09-2010 at 19:01. Reason: forgot to writw somwthing
Old 09-10-2010, 22:30
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Nice project and love the wheels
Any updates?

Cheers mate.

Got the back all put back together and on. New brake pipes front to back.

Got some bigger brakes. Tarox 10 pots and 330mm 2 piece discs.

Mock up and test fit.

And got the rear shafts back from thr powdercoaters.

Trying to get this tunnel done so i can get it back on its wheels and off to the body shop.

Laters
Old 10-10-2010, 03:36
Volksforum Draaideur Donateur Wheeler Dealer

Send a message via AIM to breadfan83 Send a message via MSN to breadfan83

All looks shiney and new again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
broodfanaat heeft gelijk

Buyer / seller feedback thread
Golf mk2 16v W.I.P.
Boot-sale
Old 28-11-2010, 15:09