Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Watercooled technical forums > Golf and Jetta Mk3
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2005, 21:37
Forum Newbee

Default Mk3 Gearbox problems

I need some serious help here, the cheaper the fix for this determines whether I'm keeping it or swapping it for a Mk2 16V. If I can fix these myself cheaply, I've got a buyer for her, CASH!!

Flash Red Mk3 8V 97 on an R plate, I think the engine code is AGG.

Gearbox Problem 1
Notchy going into gears, sometimes only goes in if you lift the clutch slightly then pops into gear. It has not always done this, seems to be intermittent.

Gearbox Problem 2
This is the clincher, this determines whether I keep her or not. In reverse, goes in alright, but when you put a load on it, it pops right out. If I put pressure on it and hold it in then it sits there fine without any problems. It hasn't always done this and seems to have gotten worse over a period of time, and stayed as it is now. Gearbox seems noisy in reverse, when rolling back holding it in gear.

Please help me, I would love to buy either a tidy Mk2 or a tidy VR6, but if this ends up too expensive then I'm keeping it. I've posted this on clubgti with very limited success, only one useful suggestion and that was it could be the selector box on top of the gearbox.

HELP!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 14:58
Volksforum Crew - You WILL comply!!

yeh sounds like the selector, but i have no clue about gearboxes so i'll leave this to the pro's.. come-on guys help him out. we need another mk2 driver on the roads :p
Old 05-01-2005, 15:52
No personal life

Send a message via MSN to Bussie komt zo

It seen like a problem with the control arm under your car.You can replace the spacers on them. it's plastic so the wear pretty quick.

The first problem could also be your syncromessring in the gearbox. but first check my first solution. the your first problem could also be over
Old 06-01-2005, 11:17
Forum Newbee

Default Mk3 Gearbox problems

Thanks for the advice so far, my mate has a wee bit of experience in this matter and seems to think it's a gearbox mount thats weak. I don't really want to go down the road of a new box, clutch etc as I'll end up keeping her and as we know there are loads of tasty Mk2's out there.

Thanks, any further helpful suggestions most welcome.

passattdi
Old 07-01-2005, 19:14
VW Enthousiast

any decent vw shop should be able to rebuild it for pretty cheap. your first problem is the gear syncros, and the 2nd problem is very common in older cars or worn out transmissions. you might also want to check the technical forums on vwvortex.com