Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > General > Who is who
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 15-02-2016, 22:10
Forum Newbee

Default Guitarfreak235 - SC USA

Hello I'm Andrew from South Carolina and recently made my first VW purchase. Its actually my first non domestic vehicle!

More about me first. I'm 20 years old and have completed 2 years of Mechanical Engineering at Clemson University. Currently I am taking a gap year and hold a junior design position at a local engineering firm doing 3d design. I use Inventor, but occasionally solidworks and autocad. I plan to return to Clemson in the fall to finish my degree.

My first and current DD is my baby, an 86 chevy k10 my grandfather bought brand new. He gave it to me as my first vehicle when I turned 16. Long story short Ive put many countless hours into it! I do all my work myself.

Heres how it was after a good polish soon after it was given to me

The rest are more up to date but dont have the fogs anymore and the bluish 6k bulbs are now 5k white

filter makes headlights look excessively green/blue

stuck lol. This killed the stock 305s valvetrain (sucked in straight water) so I had to swap a new engine

86 k10:
5K HIDs (used to have 3k fogs)
EVERY single bulb on the vehicle converted to LEDs
2 inch lift with bilstein shocks and 33" tires
swapped a '73 350 in for the stock 305. (have a 5.7 vortec from 97 waiting to swap in :grin2
custom dual exhaust front to back with headers
custom sound system with time alignment, active crossovers, etc
....Im sure I've left out some

This is my first vehicle and my baby. I'll take it to the grave with me.

Additionally, my father gave me an old 86 c20. It was an old National Forest Service truck, which he nicknamed kermit.

3 days after I got the truck someone stole it. Didn't even get to move it yet. They've got whats coming in the next life.

After I graduated high school I bought an 88 fiero 4cyl 3 speed auto for $700. paint was pretty good but otherwise slightly rough (interior mostly). I neglected to replenish the burning oil frequently enough so the engine siezed on me on the highway one day. Sold it for $500 >

After the fiero died it was still too late. I had gotten the fiero bug. Found another 88, this time V6 5 speed manual! Its the 88 fiero formula which was the fastest one made. I don't wanna hear how theyre crap. From 84-87 they did have the chevette suspention, but in 88 it was redesigned with proper 3 link suspension in the back and control arms up front. 88 fieros and 88 fieros ONLY are worth anything as a sports car. And no they dont catch fire (unless you neglect the oil level..at that point its your own fault). Im not going to talk your ear off about fieros. The performance was on par and in some cases better than the sports/exotic cars of the era. Don't believe me? Check this link :wink2: Fiero facts

Anyways It was an 88 formula 5 speed that had been resprayed. much better condition cosmetically than the first. snagged it for $1100

...Unfortunately I wrecked one rainy night and hit a pole. (Anyone here familiar with lift off oversteer in a midengined car??.. in the rain?? scary.) Luckily my dog and I were safe. T boned a telephone pole at 45 mph. These things are tanks! Fun fact they were the 2nd safest car in existence at the time of production, according to crash testing.

Finally I bought an 87 dakota from a relative for $300 recently. Don't have good pics but it was great for such a cheap car. driver door had damage and rough paint. otherwise it was fully functional. drove it 1000 miles no problem but decided to give it back to him when I decided to buy the GTI.

And finally, the reason were all here... my new 97 GTI! (I'm sure you're tired of hearing about domestic trucks and old fieros lol)

97 GTI 2.0 5 speed for $550!

Problems I'm aware of:

couple dents/dings/worn paint
driver side window crank stripped
sunroof leaks (not much)
cracked pass side mirror
locks dont work (including trunk latch)
synchros worn on 1st and 3rd
drips tiny bit of oil (appears to be valve cover gasket)
engine light and airbag light come on and off randomly
speedo works when it wants to (luckily 97% of the time)

other than that it runs and drives just great, I've put about 1000 miles on her with no issues. (I've gotten pretty good at double clutching on downshifts to 3rd, though in normal driving I don't have to)

Basically im here to learn more about these cars to better decide what I want to do with it. All of the issues are minor and I could fix them myself pretty cheaply and have a nice reliable and efficient ride. (my DD is the 86 chevy k10 that gets 9.7 mpg).

The only thing i have reservations about is the transmission. if it shifted smoothly I would be completely on board with this project, get the few cosmetic things replaced/fixed and get a cheap respray. For a few hundred dollars this car could be in 9/10 shape cosmetically. (Interior is very nice, just slightly ripped headliner).

What do you guys think about it? Is it worth fixing up? from a cosmetic standpoint I think it would be a no brainer, especially since I got it for so cheap.

How much would a good used trans run me, and how hard is swapping them? Im mechanically inclined and swapped the 350 into my truck by myself in the driveway. The trans is basically the deciding factor for what I want to do with this car. Clean it up a bit and try to sell/trade? Or fix it up myself to keep. Would it be worth the time/money investment or would it be better to wait and purchase a clean example?

I know i'm asking a bunch of questions that might should go in other sections, but Im really just trying to introduce myself and get a feel for yalls opinion on what this car is worth and whats worth doing to it. I've been a domestic/ mostly GM guy my whole life (wow I'm 20 and got started on the k10 when I was 16... so no time at all really), so Im a huge noob when it comes to these things, what theyre worth, parts costs, yadda yadda. I know I could do all the mechanical work time is the only factor, since I work 8-5 weekdays.

Looking forward to a new adventure! Feel free to ask questions. Ill try to get some interior pics up soon
Old 16-02-2016, 17:16
Draaideur Donateur - Retroracer

Welcome , and nice story about your cars.

The golf 3 is not a wanted car over here. They are also very cheap.
Main reason is rust. You almost cannot find one without it
I think you should replace the tranny for another one . By far the best option and an easy yob.
They are also very cheap , I think a hundred bucks max. (over here )
I did read on your other topic You tried the oil mix trick already .
Maybee You can add some teflon addition too.
Sometimes this helps also a little.

Rallyegolf 2.5 TFSI S-tronic Quattro
Rallyegolf
Old 16-02-2016, 22:25
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyegolf20vt
Welcome , and nice story about your cars.

The golf 3 is not a wanted car over here. They are also very cheap.
Main reason is rust. You almost cannot find one without it
I think you should replace the tranny for another one . By far the best option and an easy yob.
They are also very cheap , I think a hundred bucks max. (over here )
I did read on your other topic You tried the oil mix trick already .
Maybee You can add some teflon addition too.
Sometimes this helps also a little.

Thanks I actually put some effort into it

I'm in the south so rust is basically nonexistent here
Ill look into the teflon.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:12
Volksforum Crew - You WILL comply!!

overlooked this one, love the K10