Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Watercooled technical forums > Golf and Jetta Mk1
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 15-12-2005, 00:46
Forum Newbee

Default 1986 1.6 diesel Golf

Hey, love the site. New here and thought I'd share a bit and ask for advice at the same time. This is my second diesel VW, my first was a 1979 Rabbit. Great mileage with the Rabbit, drove it for 470000 miles. My golf is fairly low mileage with only 224000 miles on it. Being winter time here in upstate NY has its fun moments, I was rather worried about the starting at low temperature, but so far this week it's been below 0 {F} this morning it was -7f {- 21c} out and it took about 15 seconds to fire, not bad really, but I think I'll start plugging it in at night and let the block warm up a few hours before work {0430} Fuel mileage is a bit lacking, I seem to average around 42 mpg {67 kpg} when it's warm out it fires first time every time. Could the injectors need to be changed, other than that, she runs like a top. Almost totally rust free, a little work and it will be back in great shape again.
Old 15-12-2005, 00:52
Married to PC

normal to have some trouble starting the engine at -21 degrees...

use the engine heater, should help a lot! also in mileage. I lived in Sweden for a winter so I know the troubles with those temperatures.. Used to need about 3 starts to get the car running and it was a petrol car.

some service to the engine is allways a good thing to keep it in good shape but nothing strange about the starting.

good luck!