Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Aircooled technical forums > Type 2 (bus '49-'67) (bus '68->)
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 30-05-2005, 02:48
Forum Newbee

Default 1977 camper van exhaust?

I am getting a 1977 pop top camper on either tomorrow or saturday (depending on when I can convince the wife to make the 3.5 hour (each way) drive again with our 4 kids)...

on the flip side of that... it needs to have the exhaust replaced and I need to know where to get the components for a "cheap" price... I priced a complete set up from the bus boys for $900 or so... and am looking to spend hopefully no more then $400 on the complete exhaust...

any help would be much appriciated...

Jered

New paint, new exhaust system, replacement H4 headlight conversion, new tail light assemblies, JVC CD player, Infinity 6.25 and pioneer 6x9's...
Old 30-05-2005, 18:53
Volksforum Crew - Moderator International Forums

Send a message via MSN to PerL

The heat exchangers are very expensive, so if you can, you should get those used. Anyways, the prices looks to be a lot better on http://www.busdepot.com than the price quote you got from the Bus Boys.

1999 Audi A6 quattro
1990 Volkswagen Golf CL Syncro
1987 Audi Coupe quattro
Old 30-05-2005, 19:00
Banned

I picked up an exhaust on www.ebaymotors.de for just 15€. add transport and it will be less then the 900 usd. if u use J-pipes (12,95 each) instead of heat exchangers Yo'll have a cheap solution.
Old 30-05-2005, 19:06
Banned

Old 30-05-2005, 19:11
Volksforum Crew - Moderator International Forums

Send a message via MSN to PerL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf
if u use J-pipes (12,95 each) instead of heat exchangers Yo'll have a cheap solution.

He lives in Alaska, so unless he's only using his bus in the midst of summer, I dont think that is an alternative.

1999 Audi A6 quattro
1990 Volkswagen Golf CL Syncro
1987 Audi Coupe quattro
Old 31-05-2005, 08:28
Forum Newbee

my bus is a 77 and it apparently uses a specific exhaust for 75-79 models... it has 3 bolts on the connectors instead of the 2 bolt pattern...

I tore into it tonight and need the following...

a left (drivers side) heat exchanger (I found one on bus depot yesterday for $149 and think I will get it if it is the correct one) and then I also need the complete exhaust from the exchangers back to include: crossover pipe/elbow, muffler, tailpipe, hardware/gaskets and the cat converter...

The other options I'm seeing is a "extractor" exhaust, but those eliminate the cat converter and we have emissions inspections here in alaska and need to be able to pass the emissions tests... My 74 super beetle passed the emissions test and as far as I know it didn't have a cat converter on it... so I'd think the van "MIGHT" be able to pass without it? you think?

I can get a extractor for $100 or less US and then the heat exchanger for $149 and that about covers my money...

on the other note, I am willing to go with the "J" tubes, and get an alternate heating method for winter, IE: a gas heater of some sort... Kind of looked yesterday at them in walmart, but am thinking more of a "camper heater" but those will probably be expensive and then need to lug around a propaine bottle...

any ideas would be awesome, as well as links if you can...

WOLDORF, those are awesome and good priced, but are the 2 bolt style and I need the 3 bolt style, if you can find those, it'd be awesome... I can't read German, so I'm clueless what the eBay listing said...

Thanks for the help guys... Jered

New paint, new exhaust system, replacement H4 headlight conversion, new tail light assemblies, JVC CD player, Infinity 6.25 and pioneer 6x9's...
Old 02-06-2005, 04:20
Forum Newbee

okay...

I do need some help... and FAST... I have a guy I know in florida who said has a left heat exchanger and that I could get it from him.. and haven't heard back in 2 days...

I need to get something like YESTERDAY... CAn anyone get "J" pipes for this thing? I need the left side only... and need this as fast as possible...

I looked on the US sites I know of as well as searches and can't find anyone who has them for the type 4 engine... 3 bolt flange...

any help with a US link would be awesome! please help...

Old 02-06-2005, 16:36
Banned

u've got an typ4 engine (1,7 1,9 or 2,1 liter) that means u can't u with typ1 engine stuff.

searching...... searching......
Old 02-06-2005, 16:50
Forum Newbee

yeah... the type 2 body with a type 4 engine... the pancake style...

anyway, help would be much appriciated.

Jered

Old 02-06-2005, 19:38
Forum Newbee

okay, I'm alright for now, I had a muffler shop cut the last flange off of the heater box and install a connecting pipe (like a "J" pipe) to make the exhaust emissions legal to pass the IM test here in anchorage alaska...

Hopefully my buddy can find the heat exchangers he has and can get them to me for pretty cheap... as well as them being in good shape...

thanks for the help guys...

Old 05-06-2005, 18:56
Forum Newbee

okay, so my buddy had the parts but didn't know of the condition of them... however I found a place www2.cip1.com that had them in stock... so I ordered them and the 180 degree pipes... the only part I couldn't get through them was the pipe that bolts to the heads...

so if anyone knows where to get those... PLEASE LET ME KNOW... for a type 4 engine... I need Header pipes for the stock air box style exhaust...

Other then that and the $850 price tag for the pipes and shipping! I'll be okay and good to go... with BRAND NEW heat exchangers, pipes and exhaust. thinking of ceramic coating it to keep it from rusting out in the future.. but not sure...

also, if anyone is looking for a good reference for bus/type 2 info/parts etc... look here! this site is awesome... http://www.ratwell.com/

Last edited by jered : 17-06-2005 at 01:39.
Old 14-05-2006, 20:42
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jered
the only part I couldn't get through them was the pipe that bolts to the heads...

so if anyone knows where to get those... PLEASE LET ME KNOW... for a type 4 engine... I need Header pipes for the stock air box style exhaust...

I have your left and right manifolds.... still have the heat shields on them!

Email me at aufever@prodigy.net