Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > Nederlands > Techniek en Tuning Luchtgekoeld > Type 1 (kever '49->)
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 19-02-2007, 04:04
Forum Newbee

Default '65 importeren naar NL of achter laten in VS?

Hi,

Newbie here with some non-technical, but bug specific, questions so this is probably the forum to ask in.

My name is Jeroen and I'm Dutch but have almost always lived buitenlands - currently in Wichita, Kansas in the USA. Learned to speak & read Dutch from my parents but never had lessons so haven't learned to write it yet & have to look in a dictionary for the spelling of most word Feel free to reply in Dutch as I need all the practice i can get. I may be moving to the Netherlands (or at least Europe) late this year or next. This is mostly to be closer to my parents as they are getting old & I miss them.

I bought a '65 bug late last year with less than 81,000 original miles (130,000 km) on it before it was garaged in 1988 by the previous owners. So far it appears to be in remarkable, original condition with minimal obvious rust except the running boards which are easy enough to replace to make it a driver. It has a replaced deck lid, old vw rebuilt engine and 1 replaced rear fender but the front & rear apron have never been hit. No major dents or rust. It had a dealer installed air-co that had long since leaked it's life blood into the atmosphere so i removed it. Whoever installed it went crazy with all the holes they drilled but that can be fixed someday. After a little work it runs long enough to drain the battery but still have lots more to do to make it a driver. Probably paid too much for it but she's mine now and I like her a lot.

I'm trying to decide what to do with it now that I want to move to Holland/Europe. How does the process work in Holland with respect to annual safety inspections & emissions testing. What costs are associated with inspections, taxes & registration. What is it like to get insurance on one (i'm 36)?

Should i even import it or maybe it would be better to sell it here and buy another over there some day. If i bring it with me it would be tempting to build a bigger engine, do some other work to it and maybe even have some bodywork done here first. Have even thought about maybe separating the body & pan to check/fix any issues and then decide about keeping or selling.

In the eyes of the law over there, is it ok to install a bigger engine or are they strict about keeping the original engine & displacement? If you install a more powerful engine do they also look for more powerful brakes or how picky are they? How about if you install something totally different such as a rotary engine from a mazda rx7 or a wrx engine? I'm not set on putting a rotary in it but it has crossed my mind - poor fuel consumption but lots of power, reliability, relatively cheap & easy over here.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 19-02-2007, 11:42
Married to PC

Send a message via MSN to sanderz

hej jeroen, op deze site http://www.rdw.nl is een hoop te vinden over importeren naar nederland. ik denk dat het verschepen van je auto duurder is dan het op kenteken krijgen hier je kever is ouder dan 25 jaar dus hoef je al geen wegenbelasting meer te betalen en verzekeren is een peace of cake. verder wacht ik nog reacties af van andere mensen hier op het forum omdat ik ook niet alles weet en ik straks wat verkeerd zeg.

mzzl sander
Old 19-02-2007, 12:56
No personal life

In dit geval is de kever meer dan 30 jaar oud en betaal je dus maximaal 6%
aan invoerbelasting.
Het kan ook zo zijn dat je de kever kostenloos mag invoeren omdat deze
al langere tijd op je naam staat en in dit geval valt onder "huisraad".
Dit geld dus alleen bij verhuizingen!
Neem even contact op met de firma Marlog in nederland voor het transport
vanuit de states .(WWW.MARLOG-CAR-HANDLING.COM)
succes Gr Jan.

Last edited by J-9A-N : 19-02-2007 at 13:01.
Old 19-02-2007, 13:06
Volksforum Aandeelhouder

Send a message via MSN to hajee

als je de auto's vanuit de states meeneemt hoef je in ieder geval geen bpm te betalen(luxury tax) wat voor nieuwe auto's wel geldt, dus de golf en de mitsubishi zijn zeer zeker interessant om mee te nemen, wel moet je ze hier dan nog minimaal 1 jaar op naam houden,anders moet je alsnog deze luxe belasting betalen
keuring voor je kever, golf en mitsubishi kost ong. 150,- euro per stuk. dan moet je alleen de title meenemen, deze worden ingevoerd als "verhuisgoed"dus toelating is in principe geen enkel probleem, enig e wat hier niet is toegstaan zijn de oranje stadslichten aan de voorkant, die moeten hier altijd wit branden.
wat je aan invoerrechten moet betalen zou ik zo niet weten.
www.belastingdienst.nl
kun je misschien wat meer vinden
groeten en succes..
hj
Old 19-02-2007, 14:16
Forum Newbee

Thanks everyone, those answers are just what i was looking for. I wouldn't be taking the other two cars with me.

Well, off to work i go.
Old 19-02-2007, 14:37
VW Enthousiast

Hey Jeroen!!! Neem anders eens contact op met kieft & Klok. Dit bedrijf haalt al zijn klasieke volkswagens uit de VS. Misschien willen zij je helpen met het vervoeren. heb je ook gelijk een container om hem in te plaatsen

kieft & klok

Veel succes!! en ik zou zeggen meenemen die kever

Greetzz Wilmer
Old 19-02-2007, 18:36
Volksforum Aandeelhouder

Send a message via MSN to hajee

die andere 2 moet je meenemen!!
da's interessanter want dan heb je ontheffing op de luxury tax..
voor het geld waar je in the usa een auto koopt, koop je hier geen
vergelijkbare voor hetzelfde geld.
Old 19-02-2007, 22:56
VW Enthousiast

Verzekeren als oldtimer (25+) kost ongeveer 60 euro per jaar voor 5000 km. Dan heb je wel WA (basic liability cover).
Old 20-02-2007, 00:28
Forum Newbee

Thanks everyone,

That gives me lots to think about and work with. This is getting exciting!

The other two cars will be sold here - even if i get a good job over there i wouldn't have the room (or money?) to keep all 3 cars. Especially considering the cost to ship them over there. I would like to keep the Eclipse because i rebuilt that engine myself but there are plenty other fun cars to lust after over there so that's ok.

I'll be sure to post on here once i know the when & where - maybe meet some of you for a bug day or something.

Later,
Old 20-02-2007, 03:43
Forum Newbee

For the curious amongst you, this link takes you to some pictures of her. She's hibernating in the garage for the winter and the tdi was kicked outside to make room! Messy garage but it is finally warming up this weekend so may be able to make enough room to get the tdi back in there too. Enjoy:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jeroenp...460762390412916
Old 20-02-2007, 09:14
Postwhore

That's a sweet baby! I'd advise you to keep it as stock as you can, cars like that keep the value! I think you will have to change the headlights, since sealed beams are not allowed over here. Replacements are easy to find btw (you can still buy new Hella's)

For you, it could be convenient to get a container, so you could take more then one car, and other belongings as well. New cars are really way expensive over here because of the high tax we have to pay (around 35% BPM and some 17% VAT!)

A friend of mine imported a '78 Champagne Edition bus from the US. He's put some advises in a topic at Keversite.

Jens
Old 20-02-2007, 13:04
VW Enthousiast

Way cool bug!
Old 20-02-2007, 21:33
Married to PC

ik zou de kever en de eclipse meenemen

voor het geld wat je er daar aan hebt besteed + het invoeren kan je hier nog niet eens een fatsoenlijke golf rijden....

keuren kost het eerste jaar iets meer omdat het een importkeuring is, vanaf het 2e jaar kost het tussen de 25-50Euro (40-70 dollar ofzo) dus dat zijn de kosten niet.
verzekering is voor de kever een schijntje, voor 60 euro kan je er 5000km per jaar mee rijden en voor 10E meer 10000.
Old 21-02-2007, 00:48
Forum Newbee

I would love to take the eclipse because it handles great, awd grip is fun year round and i love driving it. However it would not pass (appropriate for it's era) emissions testing plus i average only 22 mpg which is rather poor - mostly because i can't keep my foot out of the floor. Additionally they are not know as being the most reliable cars either. The first car i've ever had where the jack stands are a wear item! Almost got a very expensive ticket in it last week when i was "playing" with another eclipse i met on the way to work. Was able to calm down the angry police man and he eventually let me go with a warning and a ticket for not having valid proof of insurance with me. Initially he wanted to write me up for 60mph in a 30mph zone and if he had written me up for racing they could have impounded my car. Since then i have been much more careful about where i enjoy myself in that car. The "green" in me wants to sell it too.

The golf tdi gets twice the mileage of the eclipse and it is my sensible car. It is going into the shop next week for a timing belt change. Last week i fixed a glow plug issue in it and swapped in some larger injectors also which resulted in clutch slip and not much else. But the upgraded clutch and pressure plate arrived today. Been dissapointed in the reliability of that car too - lots of electrical problems.

After selling the two "modern" cars it should pay for a decent used car over there. Don't know yet how much shipping is but that probably gets expensive too.
Old 21-02-2007, 17:48
VW Enthousiast

Shipping is somewhere in between $1000 and $1500 in a container, or at least it was when I last inquired a coupla years ago.