Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Watercooled technical forums > Golf and Jetta Mk2
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2023, 21:07
Forum Newbee

Default Help! Tick since replacing cam shaft oil seal

Newbie alert!
Hello my name's Willie.
I live in Holland. I've got 1990, 1.6 petrol, 4 door, automatic Mk2 Manhattan.
I've just today replaced my cam shaft oil seal. I followed the procedure spelt out in numerous videos and forums to set up the timing on manual box models. Except that I set the timing mark at zero on the automatic type flywheel. I turned the engine over by hand 3 or 4 times, no fouling anywhere in the engine. I then turned the engine on the starter with the coil disconnected, everything seemed fine. Then when I started it proper, it jumped directly into life without having to give any gas. The problem is that there is now a pronounced rhythmic tick that wasn't there before. I've not tried to give a bit of gas to see if the noise goes away for fear of trashing something. Any ideas?
Its a wee bit of an emergency as I've used up most of my two weeks holiday from work trying to sort this out and I'm back at work on Monday.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 15-08-2023, 12:27
Volksforum Crew - S2 Racer

Double check your timing now the engine has ran. But I suspect you are hearing the hydraulic tappets of the valve train that need to fill themselves up.