Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Aircooled technical forums > Type 1 (beetle '49->)
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 18:37
Forum Newbee

Default Some problems

Hi all i´m new here.
I have a 74 bug and have a problem right now.

Here´s the story:

I had a 1641cc in my bug. It had electronic distributor with blue bosh coil and auto lite non electronic.

Just last week i changed to 1776cc with engle 110, stock heads and 31 pict carb. Daily driver bug.

Now.. when i started the engine i worked just fine. Washed all tins with some water and soup. I was careful not to water the distributor or coil but not sparks (they had the cables on). When i tried to turn the engine after washing it it didn´t start at the fist (i supposed the cables got wet), and started after the third time.

After running about 10 km it started to fail like. It was some jumpy aceleration. After turning a corner the car had no power. I was still turned on but when i released the clutch it wanted to turn off. Suddenly it turned off and that was it.

Then inmediately made test. There was no power at the cables. Released a spark plug cable, trowed it to tin and there was no light.
Also cheked for gasoline and the pump was working fine and the tank had about 4 gallons (about 15 lts).

I allways carry a centrifugal advance distributor with new cond and point, so i connected it and same thing. It didn´t start.

After that i went to bring a mechanic and he started it with the mecanic distributor i had installed. The car was running in 3 cyls now and took it to the guy house.

He said that it was probably the coil that isn´t for the electronic distributor and it is getting hot, and that when that happens it starts to fail cause it´s an old coil (it was 2 years old).

So i went to bosh distributor and bought a red electronic coil. He installed the coil and cleaned the spark lights and the car turned.

Now the problem is that when the car is cold it makes a sound like if it was in 3 cyls and fails and makes the same fail like when it started to fail at the beggining of the story.
After running a while it starts to work right.

The sparks plugs are the same for non electronic ignition.

Please help me solve this problem
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kherrerab/album?.dir=49ec&.