Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Watercooled technical forums > Golf and Jetta Mk2
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2008, 07:19
Forum Newbee

Default Digifant 2 plug fouling problem

I have a 1990 jetta with a 1.8, with the digifant system, that keeps fouling plugs. I have replaced the temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and all the vacuum lines. Yesterday i put new plugs in it and it ran for awhile, then this morning, it started and i drove it about 60 miles round trip and then it died again. I pulled a couple of the plugs, and they were covered in gas, so something is causing it to run really rich, and fouling the plugs. One question i have is can i test the ecu myself, or is that something that only VW can do. I also replaced the fuel rail and injectors last year from a small fire, but it ran for about 5 months before this problem started. It started originally skipping real bad and then one day it just quit on me. The only other thing im not sure i did right is i had to replace the fuse box last year and im not sure i have all the relays where they go, but it ran fine for a few months, and then it just started acting up. I dont have a bentleys manual or the funds to get one at the moment. Also, when i tried to start it today it turned over about 40 times then finally started, but then it ran real rough, but then it smoothed out, so i let it run for about 10 minutes, then i shut it off, and when i went to restart it, it wouldnt even act like it wanted to run. Thats when i pulled the plugs and the tips were black and covered with unburnt gas. Any help you guys can give me, if anyone makes any sense of this, would be greatly appreciated.

If it isnt broke, it isnt an old dub. <<< how i feel about my cars most of the time.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:22
Forum Newbee

Have you look at your ignition timing, also try a possible air meter (MAF)