View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 21:37
Forum Newbee

Default Mk3 Gearbox problems

I need some serious help here, the cheaper the fix for this determines whether I'm keeping it or swapping it for a Mk2 16V. If I can fix these myself cheaply, I've got a buyer for her, CASH!!

Flash Red Mk3 8V 97 on an R plate, I think the engine code is AGG.

Gearbox Problem 1
Notchy going into gears, sometimes only goes in if you lift the clutch slightly then pops into gear. It has not always done this, seems to be intermittent.

Gearbox Problem 2
This is the clincher, this determines whether I keep her or not. In reverse, goes in alright, but when you put a load on it, it pops right out. If I put pressure on it and hold it in then it sits there fine without any problems. It hasn't always done this and seems to have gotten worse over a period of time, and stayed as it is now. Gearbox seems noisy in reverse, when rolling back holding it in gear.

Please help me, I would love to buy either a tidy Mk2 or a tidy VR6, but if this ends up too expensive then I'm keeping it. I've posted this on clubgti with very limited success, only one useful suggestion and that was it could be the selector box on top of the gearbox.

HELP!!!