View Single Post
Old 13-01-2010, 22:23
Forum Newbee

Default Another Rallye build thread, TT 3.2 VR, DSG, Haldex, TT dash, the lot

Right thought it was about time i put something up on here about my progress.

My journey started way back in January 07 when I started looking for a Rallye rolling shell to start my project.

I managed to find a semi stripped rallye with a bit of accident damage. It was written off when a Hi-lux ran into it putting a dent into the rear panel. Easy fix i thought.

Initially i wanted to do a 150PD TDi rallye and tune it up to about 200bhp, but after conversations with various tuners and then Allard motorsport I realised it would be telephone no.s to get it in due to the 4x4. It would need custom inlets inverting the turbo out the way of prop and all sorts. I could have just binned the 4x4 but then it would have just been a mk2.

When i started stripping the ABS out I noticed a split between the bulkhead and chassis rail. After a few enquires I found out that the car had infact been written off twice. It had been rejigged, but no proof. Everyone I know that has been in the car and followed it swears it drives straight, but it would just be one of those things I could never forget about. I did manage to source a complete front quarter of a Rallye, but unpicking and welding in a complete chassis leg is a bit out of my league.

So the search began again, and I soon found someone stripping a Rallye. A deal was struck that I break it for him and I get the shell at a good price. Some of you may recognise the car.

After toying with other engine ideas, I was round visiting a friend with a breakers yard. He casually walks over to something covered with a dust sheet and says "what you really want is one of these", and look what was underneath it

The clincher was what was attatched to it. I wanted to build a lazy car and this was better than a TDi, maybe not as economical?

DSG!!!!!!!

I thought about it for a whole 10 seconds and realised what else would i need. "Luckily" my friend says " the rest of the car is being broken, it got rear ended so everything is ok, you can have the lot"

So I've ended up with everything out of the TT. Front to back. Rad and air con rad, all pipework, servo and ABS unit, bulkhead, full dash and looms, heated grey leather, haldex, the lot.

The plan is to fit it all into the Rallye then hopefully it should all just plug back in and work. Well thats the theory.

Had a bash at this TT dash lark. Problem with the rallye is the hight of the tunnel, but i may have found a way.

Removed the top of the rallye tunnel and trial fited the TT replacement. Gotta cut that down and weld it in.

Engine in and looking good. Had to make up a lot of pieces to get two of the mounts to work but done.

Got the rads in, bit tight is an understatement.

Gonna run 280's on the back so had these machined up.

I'm now in the process of welding up my haldex kit on the rear and fixing on the camber caster adjusters. Then its time for powdercoat, order some wheel bearings and we might be back on wheels.

I cant decide what colour powdercoat to go for.

Option one. The simple safe option. GREY, to match the leather.

Option two. The mad option. Ford focus st and rs colours the mad snot green and bright orange. Beam one colour, arms another. Something different.

Also found some ebay bargain wheels got 6 for less than £100.

What you think