View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 20:49
Forum Newbee

Default Passat 32CL 1982

So finally I got my car registered as "classic car" (or "oldtimer", which is the official german designator and seems to be english but actually it isn't).

There are a few criteria you have to meet. First, you have to pass the bi-annual safety check (also called "TÜV" by many people, but this is just as wrong as calling an old car "oldtimer" - see bottom of post). Also you need a certificate that the car is
- at least 30 years old
- in its original shape, i.e. restored with original parts or parts which do not change the appearance or which were available at least 20 years back
- in good overall shape
- modifications of the exhaust system for better environmental compatibility are allowed
- new radios and speakers may be installed provided that they do not change the appearance of the interior.

My car needed quite a bit of body work (at the typical places) and some repairs of the suspension (mostly rubber bumpers and shock absorbers - but it was about time for this after 30 years). This was shop work, I replaced the chrome trim and the rotten dash board myself.

Finally it turned out that I had to pay an extra EUR 0,50 for the additional letter "H" (for car of h-istoric value) at the license plate printing shop!

I have to find out how to link some pictures.

PS. Concerning the "TÜV", this is just the designator for an organisation which was the only one for decades to perform the "main check" (Hauptuntersuchung). Today, there are many certified organisations offering this service and so the TÜV is no longer almost-synonymous for the "main check".