View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 14:01
Forum Newbee

Question Suspension question

Hey guys, I'm new here and have a question about fixing the suspension on my 1999 4-door Jetta 3 GL. It has the old body style and the 2L 8V engine.

Problem: I added some weight in the trunk of my car and now the rear end sags too much and the C-clamp on the exhaust rattles on the cover for the rear axle (very annoying!). There is no way to turn the C-clamp in order to make it fit better. I need to get the rear arse up.

I have spoken to many people on this, but keep getting different suggestions. The more ideas and info, the better decision I can make in the end.

Suggestion 1: replace the suspension with OEM since the car is old and new stuff will probably fix the problem. (I'm not buying this one since it seems like a temporary bandaide that will eventually have the same issue again.)

Suggestion 2: replace the stock coils with truck coils for a stiffer and higher suspension. (downside is it will ride like a truck. not too bad though and might be willing to endure with it. After all, it is better that a freaking rattle that I can hear over my music and engine running with the windows shut!)

Suggestion 3: replace the OEM struts with either a bagged suspension or air shocks. (I think this is the best option, but will be expensive. I also cannot find anyone that makes air shocks, which would be cheaper than bags, for my car)

Sugsestion 4: remove the weight in the trunk. (hahahaha! yeah riiiiiiiight! Definitely not happening )

That's all the information that I have had so far. Please provide any input you have on this issue