View Single Post
Old 27-07-2007, 22:08
Married to PC

It's been a month now since my last posting, so time for an update..

I allready bought myself a G40 charger (Polo 2f, later model).. and have been sourcing specific Polo 2 G40 stuff since then. A Polo 2 G-charger would offcourse be the cherry on top, but I since there's a serious chance the charger will blow, and I'm not willing to destroy a 'typ 1 charger' for that purpose.

Anyways:

G-charger exit arch: Not the differences between radius and thus ' height'

Not only is the 'off-set' different from the polo 2f charger-exhaust, it's got a different angle to:

On the good-old Polo 2, the intercooler is fitted allmost directly underneath the charger, since there's no real space in the car front section. With the longer, much rounder front on the 2f, Volkswagen decided they could make things much easier for there mechanics to change stuff on the ' most powerful polo', and reduce production costs abit more. The Polo 2 G40 was quite labour intensive to build. I've read somewhere in the past that even Karmann was involded in cutting up the front section and installing the G-charger...

Anyways:I bought my charger from some guy who's doing a lysholl swap on his Polo, and the visual state of the charger was quite good. I had ' Arno ' do a checkup, and he did advice to do a complete rebuild. Picked it up last month:

It's the 51'st charger he has rebuild, and included a full 'glass-perl-blast-job', all new wearing parts (seals, bearings) a fresh lube with kluber grease, etc etc..

He did a fine job, and I really like the way he's working: clean, exact and patient.

I've been collecting polo 2 G40 hoses and piping, but the pressure-tube directly from charger to intercooler isn't easy to get a hold off: the Polo 2f version is much longer and weaker (tends to tear), the Polo 2 version is enforced, and secondhand allmost as expensive as a brandnew one from vw-classicparts (volkswagen-museum-parts-supplier).

(badging is obligatory)

With all these components, and a assortment of exhaustpipe arches,.. I think I've got the pressure side collected:

First test-fitting on the engine: no problems at all:

But,.. As you might notice, (and what I've stated before) there's about no room for the tubing to get from intercooler to inlet..

about this much:

To get ' a little extra room ' I've changed from old to newer type masterbrake cilinder:
which not only has a less spacious boosterdrum, but a shorter cilinder and reservoir:

See:

With a little help from our friend from ' bayern ' ( 90 degree angle tubing from A BMW 5-series diesel ) the top section is fixed:

The sub-section is mainly the intercooler part. Cut away some sheet-metal:

to get this result, completely in ' stock Polo 2 GT G40 Cup look '

bought a brand new radiator,. since the large Dieselrad will interfere with the charger

modded the front-travese section:

original:

convinced some metal to change shape:

Pliers and a blowtorch made it look like mid-evil:

fresh sheetmetal, a A smear of bondo and a large-hole-cutting-thingy-on-a-drill made this possible:

After a respray, no-one will notice the difference between this and a original Polo 2 G40

Keep you posted!

Geld moet rollen*
*maar dan liefst wel mÃ*jn kant op!