Volksforum.com

Volksforum.com (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Polo MK 1,2 and 3 (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   project polo mk1 -old skool/racetrack car (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22312)

Gallagher 22-06-2006 23:37

project polo mk1 -old skool/racetrack car

Well, since the derby is mostly done, I am now beginning my other project on the polo. the car is a 76 polo l with 0,9l engine and 40hp :redface:

My plans:

exterior- original. the same look as my derby. lots of chrome :)
interior- just the plain steel painted, 2 race bucket seats and 4point harnesses, and a cage.
engine- 3f engine with tuning cam and motorcycle carbs. (90-100hp)
old skool 13X6-7" wheels and 80-100mm lowering.

there is extremely little rust on this car luckily. almost just the front and the door, but I have got a new one in store.

should get the weight down to 550-600kg when it is done.. that is a lot of fun with 100hp ;)
Me and a friend who is the owner of www.raceland.no is going on a trip to ast suspension in valkenswaard, holland and further down to raceland in belgium in the beginning of july. On this trip I will also stop in dortmund and pick up an 3f engine. Just have to get a passport. I thought one could travel between schengen countries without showing passports, but holland seems to have changed theese rules lately :( btw: a passport costs 125 euros in norway..

started with stripping the car today and scraping the floor for padding and glue.. more updates to come.

Berserker 23-06-2006 08:36

super cool, why don' you come by for a cup of coffee, i live between Valkenswaard and Dortmund...

so this is the idea?:

nice project but why don't you think of widening like the "berg-cup" cars???

would be cool too and some 13" 8j rims :cool:

Gallagher 23-06-2006 09:13

funny :) well, our time schedual is pretty tight as it is.. If it was just me, I would have stopped ;) No, both of theese cars are too racing-look for me.. I want to keep that original old skool look on the outside, pretty much the same as the derby.. the interior and angine will be all racing on the other side...

Berserker 23-06-2006 09:32

the 1st one is pretty old skool, the rims and not widened and all, ok forget the paint-job...

Gallagher 23-06-2006 12:27

well, if you give it a better paint job, it would look similar :)

berserker: how is it with passports to get into holland now ? do not think I will get a new one in time..

Berserker 23-06-2006 12:32

where are you from again? EU country? if so than you only need an ID/identity card and not a passport, but you know since the EU that we have open borders so no-one will check you, only if the police pulls you over...

you can risk to go without, but you also have to go to germany and since the world championship is going on, there are a lot of boarder controls (just slipped my mind)

PerL 24-06-2006 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker
where are you from again? EU country? if so than you only need an ID/identity card and not a passport, but you know since the EU that we have open borders so no-one will check you, only if the police pulls you over...

you can risk to go without, but you also have to go to germany and since the world championship is going on, there are a lot of boarder controls (just slipped my mind)

He's from Norway like me, we are not within the EU, but we are following most EU rules (including the Schengen agreement) as we are a part of the EEC.

Gallagher 24-06-2006 13:45

yeah.. the problem is that in norway, the only valid identification papers abroad is our passports.. got the engine today on ebay.. 100 euros.. damn thats cheap..

Berserker 24-06-2006 15:47

the only thing to remember is with the World championship that the Germans are really controlling their boarders for terrorists....

so I wouldn't risk it without a passport

Gallagher 06-07-2006 12:31

just came back from my trip to eindhoven / Valkenswarg and nijmegen now.. brougt back 4 ats classic rims, a engine and a gearbox.. pics will come.. I am planning a days work on the car tomorrow..

Gallagher 14-07-2006 00:03

well, here are the pics I promised you.. the 3f engine, my "new" garage, the ats rims and the inside of the car.. also how the rear wheelarches look now reydu to be welded back in place.. I have already welded the battery box together as you can se.. Also had a hard time removing the glue from the inside of the car, but I am getting there :)

things are atleast moving forward :)

Gallagher 31-07-2006 20:24

well, the work is progressing slowly since I just bought a 93- polo fox also, but I have got some welding done, and the engine is assembled, washed, sandblasted and painted..

Berserker 01-08-2006 08:24

how did you get the gearbox so clean? also sandblasted? with some clear paint?

Gallagher 01-08-2006 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker
how did you get the gearbox so clean? also sandblasted? with some clear paint?

yepp.. first steaming, then sandblasting and at the end som silver hotpaint.. will last atleast a month ;) Of maybe I have some luck.. this car is only meant for tracks, so it wont be driven that much..

Gallagher 07-11-2006 20:52

bought some bushings today from germany.. payed 161 euros delivered to me in norway, hope theese will help on the track. Pics. are borrowd from thomas78 here on the forum when he mounted them on.

Berserker 07-11-2006 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
bought some bushings today from germany.. payed 161 euros delivered to me in norway, hope theese will help on the track. Pics. are borrowd from thomas78 here on the forum when he mounted them on.

Ey you're still alive, cool I also need those, I just find 161 euro a little bit much for some legos..

What did you do to your brakes??

Gallagher 07-11-2006 21:42

hello berserker :) I havent don eanything with it yet, but I am going to do the same as I did on mye old skool derby. VwII 239mm vented brakes from golf 2 in front and golf 2 drumbrakes in the rear. more than enough and brakes like hell :)
the VW II calippers fit perfectly with the g40 calipper carrier, but you can also use carriers from a golf 1 with VWII calippers. have to work a little with them, but not much.. easy with a grinder..

Berserker 07-11-2006 21:50

Quote:
hello berserker :) I havent don eanything with it yet, but I am going to do the same as I did on mye old skool derby. VwII 239mm vented brakes from golf 2 in front and golf 2 drumbrakes in the rear. more than enough and brakes like hell :)
the VW II calippers fit perfectly with the g40 calipper carrier, but you can also use carriers from a golf 1 with VWII calippers. have to work a little with them, but not much.. easy with a grinder..

VW2 calipers are also used on polo g40's and fit on later model polo's carriers+front legs...

Like I did:

Polo 2f legs with vw2 calippers with Brembo Max discs and ferodo ds2500 blocks..

Gallagher 07-11-2006 22:03

yes, my brakes will be similar to this. the 2f legs and the mk1 legs are the same i think. the only thing I need is the carrier you have on theese legs. drilled and grooved vented discs and greenstuff og other blocks also help a lot yes.. what did you do to your master cylinder and brake servo ? nothing ? I dont know what fits here..

Berserker 07-11-2006 22:12

Quote:
yes, my brakes will be similar to this. the 2f legs and the mk1 legs are the same i think. the only thing I need is the carrier you have on theese legs. drilled and grooved vented discs and greenstuff og other blocks also help a lot yes.. what did you do to your master cylinder and brake servo ? nothing ? I dont know what fits here..

No polo 1 legs are different from polo 2 and 2f legs, you need the legs with half moon shaped braking blocks and not the square ones, The discs from the square ones have a different offset and do not fit..

If you get legs with the half moon shaped blocks, you just need to replace the callipers for the vw2 ones and the rests will fit perfectly..

I don't change my master cilinder because it will make no difference because the cilinders of the callipers are the same, and my Audi already has brake servo..