Volksforum.com

Volksforum.com (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Watercooled projects (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   16vG60 Thread! (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62021)

CrankWork 12-11-2009 14:58

16vG60 Thread!

Hey all, I'm starting my 16vG60 build and figured we should have a thread going on here!

Plz share your experiences, post pix and numbers, of course :thumbup:

Actually, I'd like to see some pix of custom serp. belt routing, where alt is mounted under the charger.

cheers! :thumbup:

breadfan83 12-11-2009 14:59

Check out Martinus in the Dutch section, he's currently building one and has posted loads of pics in his thread.

CrankWork 12-11-2009 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadfan83
Check out Martinus in the Dutch section, he's currently building one and has posted loads of pics in his thread.

thnx man, but it looks like like he's going with an alt behind the head setup...

now, who's gonna hook me up with a 50mm scirocco intake mani? :D

breadfan83 12-11-2009 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankWork
thnx man, but it looks like like he's going with an alt behind the head setup...

now, who's gonna hook me up with a 50mm scirocco intake mani? :D

Right.

Not me, but that reminds me, I still gotta pick up the one I bought almost a year ago. :D

CrankWork 18-11-2009 15:47

Alrite! Yesterday was quite a productive day at the shop! We had this junk 9A sitting on the engine stand so I figured I'll use it for my mock up. I experimented with several different ways of belt routing and came up with this:

plz pardon the filthiness of the setup - it's only a mock up from the spares I had sitting around. Almost all of it is oem vw parts, no fabrication other than modifying the main g60 bracket to accommodate the alt.

serp belt setup:
crank pulley - shaved ABA item
tensioner idler - subaru serp belt idler
idler - from ABA serp tentioner
alt - ABA/VR6 alt (might have to look for a smaller unit)

v-belt:
aba crank v-belt pulley
w.pump - mk3 turbo diesel
p. steering - 9A item.

I was gonna run w.pump from the serp belt also but that would make the belt routing bit more complicated. I'm gonna try fitting P.steering pump today with bracketry. I hope it'll work out!

cheers! :)

breadfan83 18-11-2009 16:15

Those clamps aren't oem. :sly:

Other than that, it's looking good! :D

CrankWork 20-11-2009 13:58

cheers! ;)

ok, got the PS setup figured out! Also got rid of the scooby roller; installed oem idler from an aba instead. Anyone has any idea what smaller alt I could use?

:egg:

Pedaalemmer 20-11-2009 14:19

this is what you need:

or..

I got it from this thread

CrankWork 20-11-2009 18:32

Thnx man, I got it all figured out already, xpt the alternator - some say aba alt causes clearance issues. :(

VeeDubber 21-11-2009 17:14

I would try to get more belt covering the alt pulley. The way it is now will be causing some problems when you switch on a big electricity consumer. The belt has too little pulley to hold on to.

CrankWork 23-11-2009 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubber
I would try to get more belt covering the alt pulley. The way it is now will be causing some problems when you switch on a big electricity consumer. The belt has too little pulley to hold on to.

yes, I got a TDi timing belt roller that is gonna go where the top mounting bolt for the alt is; it's gonna give more wrap around the charger pulley also...

CrankWork 27-11-2009 16:32

quick update - made a tensioner bracket from a mk3 v-belt one. still having hard time figuring out how to mount the tdi roller. i need a custom double-ended bolt made i guess...

CrankWork 08-12-2009 15:35

ok, got my belt routing and tensioner all figured out now!

Tjaap 08-12-2009 15:36

that looks like it should work..

Herm Schreurs 08-12-2009 22:47

You can buy those belts in all length-sizes possible.
I did it like this:

Check out all the pics:
album1
album2
album3

I started my own firm in those rebuilds, as wll as the uniball-connections for the track control arms, rear axle, balance brake systems and topmounts.
I do complete rebuilds and engine swaps as well.
Website will follow soon!

Keep up the good work!!

CrankWork 10-12-2009 20:36

cool project, Herrum! I'd be concerned about having my alt sitting that low - it'd get stuffed with dirt real quick...

CrankWork 17-12-2009 06:44

Did more work today...

really can't wait to fire it up!
Btw what did u guys do about the coolant flange on the front of the head?

:woowoo:

Herm Schreurs 22-12-2009 23:58

Not concerned about your alternator suddenly?
There are polo's with the alternator there from the factory.

You can use the KR, 9A or ABF front coolant flange.
I used the Bahnbrenner item for tho engines. they don' sell it anymore.
I still have got one spare. It's a bille aluminium-item with the outlet not straight to the front side but to the right-side towards the gearbox so you can do the plumbing really nice. it has a billet housing which can take the black and blue original coolant-temperature senders.
if you are interested please send me an email:
herm@longstreet-engineering.nl
i can send you some pics and if desired more info.

CrankWork 23-12-2009 22:25

email sent, Herrum! :D

the alternator biz - I took some measurements and it looks like i should have plenty of space for the alt. The engine is goin into a mk2 with a mk3 cross member; everyone who complained bout clearance have the engine in a corrado (maybe they mounted the alt slightly different)... we'll see, I'll have a closer look at this in a week or so.
coolant flange - i have a stock one (9a) on my mock up and totally can't see how it could work!!!

cheers!

CrankWork 22-01-2010 17:41

alrite, quick update - alt is in place. tight fit, but should clear the crosmember. I fabbed up a front coolant flange outta stock one, one of my buddies in EU is ordering me an ABF side flange that accepts a sensor. I also discovered that my fuel rail that i bought used is broken! got ripped off dammit!!!! :mad: I left it with my friend who welds aluminium, he might be able to fix it.