Volksforum.com

Volksforum.com (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Type 1 (beetle '49->) (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Type 1 -68: Old, Low & Damn Slow. Norwegian Project (https://www.volksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39981)

robertjan007 28-02-2008 22:59

Damn man... It make's me very very happy!!! What a nice project!
Good Luck

DrLaban 01-03-2008 18:36

*Update*

Completed my transmission today.
Converted to short axels, new bearings etc. :)

vwouter 02-03-2008 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLaban
*Update*

Looks very nice.

But there is one thing you should change. The bolts on the rubber that's mounted on the axles and the gearbox should be pointing to the back or the front. The way they are sitting now, they will screw up the rubber, each time your suspension will go up and down. ;)

DrLaban 02-03-2008 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwouter
Looks very nice.

But there is one thing you should change. The bolts on the rubber that's mounted on the axles and the gearbox should be pointing to the back or the front. The way they are sitting now, they will screw up the rubber, each time your suspension will go up and down. ;)

I have changed that allready ;)

steven16v 02-03-2008 18:11

Damn that looks hot!

A very nice project! Good luck with it!

DrLaban 02-03-2008 22:25

*Sunday's update*

It sonny day in Oslo today, but I desided to spend the hole day in the garage :)

New breaks, incl. new emergency brake cables.

Completed the Air Ride @ the rear.

I also had to "try" this one, EMPI shifter :D

Before I closed the garage I started on the front suspension.
Removed all the caps.

To be continued....

DrLaban 02-03-2008 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven16v

Damn that looks hot!

A very nice project! Good luck with it!

Wait till you see them on the car with the tires ;)

DrLaban 03-03-2008 23:11

*Update*

Spent some hours in the garage tonight after work :)

I continued with my front suspension. Used the grider to get a flat surface for the big washers.

Got most of the grease out of the suspension, but to be on the safe side I taped the end so I didn't get any grease inside the replacement bar.

Both inserts in place..

After some work with the "Dremel" I got the prefect fit for the washers :D
There will be a little special bearing between the big washers, but I need to buy some Locktite before I tighten the bolts.

Voila..

DrLaban 05-03-2008 22:17

*Update*

Bought some Loctite yesterday and was ready to complete the front suspension

Installed those strange bearings between the washers. I added some grease on the bearing before I installed the bolts.
Used the Loctite on all 4 bolts to be sure that the suspension don't collapse :)

Everything in place.. :)

Then I installed the Air Shocks in front. I have to drill som bigger holes in the spindles before I install the drums and breakes.

DrLaban 07-03-2008 07:28

*Update*

Last night I drilled new and bigger holes in my drop spindles and installed the flip rod kit. I am flipping the outer tie rod upside down to get a better angle when the car is so loooow ;)

The kit is installed like this..

Ready for installing breaks etc.

I needed to modify my rear drums after converting to short axels

And here's the result... :)

DrLaban 07-03-2008 18:14

*Friday update*

I am now ready to install the wheels and drop the car to the ground :D
Need the finish the wheels this weekend so I can get some tires on them next week.

DrLaban 08-03-2008 00:23

*TOUCHDOWN*

I had to find out how low the car is now, before I get the tires. So after finding the right height of my tires, I made some temporary ones ;)

A BIG smile in my face when this happend. And I still got more travel in front :D

30mm clearence @ the edge...

And @ the rear. 8 inches of pure rawness :D

Tjaap 08-03-2008 00:26

wow, touchdown is right,... this thing is gonna be insane.

Ferry24 08-03-2008 07:26

sweet!

Marcski 08-03-2008 12:27

i thought load adjusters were supposed to be used in combination with ordinary suspension and not carry the entire load

don't you think the vents will be too small (read slow airride)?

DrLaban 08-03-2008 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcski
i thought load adjusters were supposed to be used in combination with ordinary suspension and not carry the entire load

don't you think the vents will be too small (read slow airride)?

This isn't ordinary load adjusters/hijackers. These are air shocks which replace both the shock and the spring. I had the same type of air shocks @ the rear on my Golf 1 Cab project. Working like a charm en carries the weight without problems.

I haven't bought a fast kit... I am not going to stand beside my car at the shows and "wiggle" and jump. I have installed the ride to be able to have my car extremly low, but still be able to raise it if can't get over something.

Stijn 08-03-2008 13:57

Insane! Mad props yo :D

Interesting front airbags/springs/shocks, where did you find those? Would be usefull on various cars...

DrLaban 08-03-2008 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn
Insane! Mad props yo :D

Interesting front airbags/springs/shocks, where did you find those? Would be usefull on various cars...

I bought the complete Air Ride from Airkewld in the US.

Marcski 08-03-2008 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLaban
This isn't ordinary load adjusters/hijackers. These are air shocks which replace both the shock and the spring. I had the same type of air shocks @ the rear on my Golf 1 Cab project. Working like a charm en carries the weight without problems.

I haven't bought a fast kit... I am not going to stand beside my car at the shows and "wiggle" and jump. I have installed the ride to be able to have my car extremly low, but still be able to raise it if can't get over something.

:thumbup:
just wondering, cause they look exactly like em, even the nozzle..

DrLaban 08-03-2008 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcski
:thumbup:
just wondering, cause they look exactly like em, even the nozzle..

That's not a nozzle.. it's the protection cap ;) :)